Centre prepones GJM talks to August 11
New Delhi: As the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM)
sponsored indefinite bandh in Darjeeling continued, the Centre
on Saturday preponed to August 11 the tripartite talks involving the
West Bengal government and the GJM to be held in Delhi.
"This has been done as a goodwill gesture to GJM. This is
the earliest possible date for holding the tripartite talks
after the current Parliament session ends," a Home Ministry
The Centre had earlier proposed to hold the talks on
August 24 but the GJM wanted it to be preponed.
Normal life continued to be affected for the sixth day in
all three sub-divisions of Darjeeling district owing to the
indefinite bandh called by the GJM to press for their demands,
including creation of a separate state for Gorkhas.
Besides a separate statehood, the GJM is also pressing
for immediate transfer of Inspector-General of Police (north
Bengal) K L Tamta, additional superintendent of police
(headquarters) A Chaturvedi and SDPO of Kurseong Partho Pal,
whom it accused of playing into the hands of the CPI(M) and
showing vindictive attitude against the GJM supporters.
The last tripartite meeting between the three sides took
place on December 29 last year where it was decided to take
forward the talks after the Lok Sabha polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter