Centre to consult states on drought salvage efforts
New Delhi: Worried over the impact of monsoon failure, the Centre has convened a meeting of the State Agriculture Ministers on Friday to chalk out plans for salvaging losses in Kharif production and to discus strategy for increasing crop coverage during Rabi.
The meeting to be chaired by Food and Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar, has been called to "draw up an action plan to salvage the losses in Kharif and to plan for higher
crop coverage in the Rabi season", an official statement said.
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Rural development Minister C P Joshi would also be present at the meeting.
According to estimates, rice production during the Kharif season (June-September) would fall by 10 million tonnes and shortfalls are also expected in sugarcane and oilseeds
Meanwhile, the government on Thursday announced an increase of Rs 100 per quintal in the minimum support price for paddy and up to Rs 240 a quintal for pulses.
With 246 districts in ten states affected by drought, prices of essential food items, mainly sugar, pulses and vegetables have increased sharply despite the benchmark wholesale price index remaining low.
However, the government is putting up a brave front, thanks to high food stocks, which is sufficient for the next 13 months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day