Chambers, Lemaitre get Europeans off to speedy start
Barcelona: Europe’s two fastest men are in action on the opening day of the European championships as Briton Dwain Chambers and France’s Christophe Lemaitre line up in the heats of the 100 metres.
Chambers, who beat 20-year-old Lemaitre in last month’s European Team championships, is drawn in heat one with the Frenchman running in the last heat.
“I’m optimistic about it, if I can draw on everything I have experience-wise,” Chambers, 32, said when asked if he could win the title.
“It’s my ambition to win but again I have strong competition, especially from Lemaitre, and I have to do the best I can to stay ahead of him.”
France’s world indoor record holder Teddy Tamgho does not plan to hang around in triple jump qualifying (1820) after recovering from a calf injury.
“The calf is completely fine. I’m OK,” he told the European Athletic Association website. “My mind is focused on qualification. I want to qualify with my first jump then go on to win the final.”
The men’s 20-km walk will be the first medal of the six-day championships to be decided. The men’s 10,000 metres final and women’s shot put are the other medal events.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!