Chargers mow down RCB in their own den
Bangalore: Deccan Chargers were back in the hunt after claiming a seven wicket victory over Royal Challengers Bangalore in their own den. Andrew Symonds finished it off with a boundary that got him his fifty as well.
Tirumalsetti Suman was the run-churner in the chase, scoring an unbeaten 79 to help Hyderabad find their rhythm in the tourney.
Anil Kumble had won a smaller battle of captains as he claimed Adam Gilchrist (32) with a delivery that completely stumped him. Gilly had set-up a good 77-run partnership with Tirumalsetti Suman but failed to carry his team home till the end.
Royal Challengers, powered with two stupendous half-centuries of Jacques Kallis and Virat Kohli, had almost turned the tables for their team towards the death, posting a solid 184/6 against Deccan Chargers.
Scorecard: Deccan Chargers Vs Royal Challengers»
Kohli was particularly merciless from the word go, hitting sixes at ease. It was the partnership between the above said big-hitters that gave Bangalore a chance to enthrall a packed home stadium. However, they still fell short by 10-15 more runs as the Chargers broke their chasing-down jinx amid a flurry of big ones from Symonds.
Jumbo’s men were in deep trouble after Ross Taylor bid an early adieu to the proceedings, getting plumb in front of the wicket off a Pragyan Ojha arm ball. Robin Uthappa too, could not play enforcer to the Chargers at home, falling to Andrew Symonds’ turner that was caught behind by Gilchrist.
The home team had already gotten themselves into a tight spot after the loss of three crucial wickets of Manish Pandey and Rahul Dravid. The former was done-in by a Ryan Harris special that went right through the gates of the local lad while Dravid was caught trying to take the aerial route.
If the Deccan Chargers stumbled again, their semi final hopes would have shrunk to about the size of their recent middle order contributions. But it was not to be as Gilchrist and his outfit seems to have set the tempo higher for their next game against Chennai Super Kings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth