Charlesworth makes changes for Champions Trophy
Sydney: Australia coach Ric Charlesworth added a youthful element to his experienced lineup for the Champions Trophy by including Matthew Swann and Brent Dancer in his squad Wednesday for the elite, six-nation field hockey tournament starting later this month.
The squad contains five survivors from the Kookuburras squad which won gold at the Athens 2004 Olympics including midfielder Brent Livermore, who has played 308 international matches dating back to 1997 but missed last year`s Beijing Olympics due to injury.
Swann, who made his international debut last month, and Dancer, who has six caps, won spots ahead of Beijing Olympics bronze medalists Kiel Brown, David Guest and Eli Matheson. "The Champions Trophy is an important competition and selection of the squad was difficult," Charlesworth was quoted as saying.
"There was a range of players in contention and I think the selection is part of searching for those players who will compete at the World Cup next year."
"Playing in the Champions Trophy will give each player an opportunity to confirm their quality otherwise there will be someone there to take their spot."
The Champions Trophy starts Nov. 28 in Melbourne and features teams from Netherlands, Britain, Germany, Spain and South Korea.
Australia squad: George Bazeley, Nathan Burgers, Graeme Begbie, Luke Doerner, Matthew Swann, Matthew Butturini, Brent Dancer, Mark Knowles, Brent Livermore, Liam De Young, Fergus Kavanagh, Jamie Dwyer, Eddie Ockenden, Simon Orchard, Rob Hammond, Des Abbott, Grant Schubert, Glenn Turner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org