Chavan quits, gets ready for term two as CM
Mumbai: Getting ready to take over the reins of government for a second term, Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan Monday submitted his resignation and that of his ministers to Governor SC Jamir.
Accepting his resignation, Jamir requested him to continue in the post till a new government assumes office.
Chavan later told reporters that he would stake claim to form the next government in the state "within a couple of days".
"We have the required numbers and there will be no problem," he said.
A Congress office-bearer said Chavan would approach the governor with a formal claim to form the next government after alliance partner Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) announces its candidate for the post of deputy chief minister.
"Depending on the new deputy chief minister and the outline of the proposed new Cabinet, the exercise may be completed in a day or two," he said.
The Congress-NCP combine bagged 144 seats in 288-seat Assembly -- Congress 81 and NCP 63 -- while the opposition Shiv Sena-BJP combine got 90 seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray