Chavan quits, gets ready for term two as CM
Mumbai: Getting ready to take over the reins of government for a second term, Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan Monday submitted his resignation and that of his ministers to Governor SC Jamir.
Accepting his resignation, Jamir requested him to continue in the post till a new government assumes office.
Chavan later told reporters that he would stake claim to form the next government in the state "within a couple of days".
"We have the required numbers and there will be no problem," he said.
A Congress office-bearer said Chavan would approach the governor with a formal claim to form the next government after alliance partner Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) announces its candidate for the post of deputy chief minister.
"Depending on the new deputy chief minister and the outline of the proposed new Cabinet, the exercise may be completed in a day or two," he said.
The Congress-NCP combine bagged 144 seats in 288-seat Assembly -- Congress 81 and NCP 63 -- while the opposition Shiv Sena-BJP combine got 90 seats.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know