Chelsea sign Benfica defender David Luiz
London: Chelsea have signed Brazil centre back David Luiz from Benfica for a fee of 25 million euros (21 million pounds), the Portuguese champions confirmed on Monday.
"Benfica informs it has reached a deal with the Premier League`s Chelsea Football Club Limited, to sell David Luiz on a permanent basis for 25 million euros," Benfica said in a statement.
Chelsea`s Serbian midfielder Nemanja Matic will move to Benfica as part of the deal, the Portuguese club added.
Luiz, 23, had a contract with Benfica that ran until 2015 and is seen as one of the most promising defenders in Europe.
He arrived in Lisbon from Brazil in 2007 and was a key member of the Benfica side that last season clinched the Portuguese Premier League title for the first time in five years, missing only one of 30 league matches.
His performances earned him a debut call-up to the Brazil squad for a friendly against the United States in August. He also played against Iran and Ukraine in October and is in the squad for the February 9 friendly in France.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested