Chelsea sign Benfica defender David Luiz
London: Chelsea have signed Brazil centre back David Luiz from Benfica for a fee of 25 million euros (21 million pounds), the Portuguese champions confirmed on Monday.
"Benfica informs it has reached a deal with the Premier League`s Chelsea Football Club Limited, to sell David Luiz on a permanent basis for 25 million euros," Benfica said in a statement.
Chelsea`s Serbian midfielder Nemanja Matic will move to Benfica as part of the deal, the Portuguese club added.
Luiz, 23, had a contract with Benfica that ran until 2015 and is seen as one of the most promising defenders in Europe.
He arrived in Lisbon from Brazil in 2007 and was a key member of the Benfica side that last season clinched the Portuguese Premier League title for the first time in five years, missing only one of 30 league matches.
His performances earned him a debut call-up to the Brazil squad for a friendly against the United States in August. He also played against Iran and Ukraine in October and is in the squad for the February 9 friendly in France.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?