Chelsea to visit Man United for title-deciding clash
Manchester: Manchester United winger Nani has started the mind games ahead of Sunday`s title-deciding visit of Chelsea by claiming his team-mates hold a psychological edge over their rivals.
Sir Alex Ferguson’s side held a 15-point advantage over Chelsea two months ago and were seemingly coasting to a record 19th domestic title.
But Chelsea have since eaten into United’s lead and arrive at Old Trafford just three points adrift with three games to play and with the Premier League title again in their sights following a run of five straight league wins.
The momentum has shifted in recent weeks to set up a meeting that will leave the winners at the head of the table and favourites to finish top.
But Nani disputes that Chelsea are in the ascendancy and says United are mentally in a better state of mind following their recent Champions League quarter-final win over their visitors.
United proved too strong for the west Londoners last month, winning both at home and away, and the Portuguese winger says memory of their 3-1 aggregate success will help end Chelsea?s hopes of retaining the title for good.
"The results against them in the Champions League were very good," Nani said. "We showed we can play against them and win both legs. I think that gives us the psychological advantage going into this critical game.
"We were not at our best in our defeat to Arsenal last week and we cannot be like that again in this one.
"We all realise we have to get back to our high tempo and confidence against Chelsea. We have to get back to our very best if we are going to do anything.
"It is always dangerous playing against Chelsea. They have some fantastic players. They are the team who every season are playing to win the league as well as us. They are always there challenging.
"We respect them but we have to be strong ourselves and just concentrate on what we do best and we can win it. It will be very difficult. But we are at home and we have had good experiences against them.
"If we win this one then it is a great advantage for us. It is nearly over then."
United have collected a staggering 49 points out of a possible 51 on home soil this season and Ferguson knows another home win would all but wrap up the championship.
The manager, who has confirmed striker Wayne Rooney is among those fit to return as he prepares to restore a host of regular first-teamers, added: "Everyone is aware of the magnitude of Sunday`s game.
"If we win, we should win the league. It is a game we are looking forward to. Last Sunday`s result (at Arsenal) has certainly brought us an awareness of how important this week`s game is.
"It is one of the reasons why I picked the team I did against Schalke (in the Champions League) on Wednesday. I wanted to give us a real chance.
"We will have a fresh team and that makes a difference at this time of the season. It should be a fantastic game."
Carlo Ancelotti, the Chelsea manager, admits this is a do-or-die contest for his side, who looked to have no chance of retaining the title two months ago.
"It`s like a final for us," he said. "We wanted to play in the final of the Champions League but we have to be happy to play this kind of final. This is a different final but for us we can compare this game to a final."
And he added: "They (United) are favourites as they have three points more. If we are able to win, nothing is decided. If they win, they will win the title."
Right-back Jose Bosingwa is the only Chelsea absentee and Ancelotti is anxious his side maintain the recent momentum that has turned their season around.
"It`s very exciting for us and we are very happy," he said. "There`s a good atmosphere.
"In the past, when you`ve been told it`s no good, then you get this opportunity, and it`s a fantastic opportunity.
"This team is still alive and this means the players have very good character, very good personality and they are very professional."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow