Chelsea`s Carvalho out for four weeks with ankle injury
London: Chelsea will be without Ricardo Carvalho for at least four weeks after the Portugal defender damaged ankle ligaments in Wednesday`s 5-0 win over Portsmouth, the Premier League club said on Thursday.
The London club, second in the league just one point behind champions Manchester United, were already depleted in defence with England left back Ashley Cole, Serbia defender Branislav Ivanovic and Carvalho`s compatriot Jose Bosingwa all sidelined.
Chelsea`s injury list also includes midfielder Michael Essien.
Carvalho will miss the April 3 showdown against United at Old Trafford but will hope to be fit to play for Portugal at the World Cup in South Africa starting in June.
"The club will be able to determine over the next 24 hours whether the injury requires corrective surgery, however we can confirm at this point that he`ll be out for at least four weeks," Chelsea said on their website.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi