Chelsea`s Carvalho out for four weeks with ankle injury
London: Chelsea will be without Ricardo Carvalho for at least four weeks after the Portugal defender damaged ankle ligaments in Wednesday`s 5-0 win over Portsmouth, the Premier League club said on Thursday.
The London club, second in the league just one point behind champions Manchester United, were already depleted in defence with England left back Ashley Cole, Serbia defender Branislav Ivanovic and Carvalho`s compatriot Jose Bosingwa all sidelined.
Chelsea`s injury list also includes midfielder Michael Essien.
Carvalho will miss the April 3 showdown against United at Old Trafford but will hope to be fit to play for Portugal at the World Cup in South Africa starting in June.
"The club will be able to determine over the next 24 hours whether the injury requires corrective surgery, however we can confirm at this point that he`ll be out for at least four weeks," Chelsea said on their website.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu shine for India; USA top tally with 121 medals
- US Republican voters not happy with Donald Trump as presidential nominee: Poll
- Renault Kwid 1.0-litre to be launched in India today
- Sushant Singh Rajput, Shraddha Kapoor to come together! No, we aren’t talking about a film
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 pre-registrations begins from today