Cheney, Buehler score as US beats North Korea 2-0
Dresden, Germany: Lauren Cheney and Rachel Buehler scored in the second-half, and the United States opened play at the Women`s World Cup with a 2-0 victory over youthful North Korea on Tuesday.
Cheney came through in the 54th minute after putting several shots right into the hands of North Korean goalkeeper Hong Myong Hui. She took a long cross from Abby Wambach right in front of the box and nodded it past Hong to set off a raucous celebration by the two-time World Cup champions.
Buehler scored the second goal of her career in the 76th minute with a thunderous right-footed strike from about 11 yards. Hong dove, but the ball rolled beneath her outstretched hand.
This was the fourth time North Korea and the U.S. have met in group play at the Women`s World Cup. This was the third American victory after a 2-2 draw four years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intermediate Examination (Arts) Result 2016 will be declared today on 29th May 2016 at 2:00 pm
- Class 10th (Matric) Exam Result 2016 will be declared today on 29th May 2016 at 12: 00 pm
- Putin vows Russian retaliation over US missile shield in Europe
- More than 2,000 boat migrants rescued off Italy, 45 dead
- Trump rules out US presidential debate with Sanders