Chettri double gives India 3-1 win over Portugese club side
Lisbon: Sunil Chettri scored twice as India
thrashed Portuguese second division side Uniao Desportiva da
Serra 3-1 in their first practice match of the week at the
Pope John Paul II stadium, Fatima here.
Sushil Kumar Singh struck the third goal for India, while
Uniao Desportiva da Serra midfielder Pedro managed the sole
scoring strike for the hosts.
India started off impressively and made numerous inroads
in the opponent citadel. Their hard work finally paid off in
the 35th minute with Kansas City Wizards striker Chettri
heading in Anthony Pereira`s cross from the left flank.
India successfully held their one goal advantage and went
for the breather with a 1-0 lead.
India made three changes prior to the start of second
session, Clifford Miranda came in for Steven Dias, while
Mehrajuddin Wadoo made his way in the midfield replacing
Abhishek Yadav joined Chettri up front replacing Mohammed
Rafi but barely a couple of minutes into the second half, the
Mumbai FC striker suffered a knee injury and was replaced by
Sushil Kumar Singh.
India gave away the lead in the 56th minute conceding a
spot kick, on which Pedro made no mistake to bring the hosts
back in to the match.
Chettri was soon in thick of things again and completed
his brace heading in Sushil Kumar Singh`s cross in the 75th
minute to put India back in front, while five minutes later
Sushil registered his name on the score-sheet heading in James
Singh`s flag-kick to seal an impressive victory for the side.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed