Chettri double gives India 3-1 win over Portugese club side
Lisbon: Sunil Chettri scored twice as India
thrashed Portuguese second division side Uniao Desportiva da
Serra 3-1 in their first practice match of the week at the
Pope John Paul II stadium, Fatima here.
Sushil Kumar Singh struck the third goal for India, while
Uniao Desportiva da Serra midfielder Pedro managed the sole
scoring strike for the hosts.
India started off impressively and made numerous inroads
in the opponent citadel. Their hard work finally paid off in
the 35th minute with Kansas City Wizards striker Chettri
heading in Anthony Pereira`s cross from the left flank.
India successfully held their one goal advantage and went
for the breather with a 1-0 lead.
India made three changes prior to the start of second
session, Clifford Miranda came in for Steven Dias, while
Mehrajuddin Wadoo made his way in the midfield replacing
Abhishek Yadav joined Chettri up front replacing Mohammed
Rafi but barely a couple of minutes into the second half, the
Mumbai FC striker suffered a knee injury and was replaced by
Sushil Kumar Singh.
India gave away the lead in the 56th minute conceding a
spot kick, on which Pedro made no mistake to bring the hosts
back in to the match.
Chettri was soon in thick of things again and completed
his brace heading in Sushil Kumar Singh`s cross in the 75th
minute to put India back in front, while five minutes later
Sushil registered his name on the score-sheet heading in James
Singh`s flag-kick to seal an impressive victory for the side.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living