Chicken Tikka Masala in House of Commons
London: The delectable Asian curry `chicken tikka masala`, a favourite in UK, entered the House of Commons after a lawmaker made a strong bid to get Glasgow officially recognised as the home of the dish.
Mohammad Sarwar, of Pakistani origin and Labour MP for
Glasgow Central, tabled an early day motion in the House
seeking EU protected `Designation of Origin status` for the
Sarwar claimed that the dish was invented in the Scottish
town of Glasgow by Ali Ahmed Aslam, proprietor of the Shish
Mahal restaurant in the seventies, in the town`s west end.
The place is also three times winner of the `curry
capital of Britain` award.
It is also believed that mild curry was created decades
ago in a Glaswegian kitchen by Asian immigrants catering to
Sarwar told the BBC "Glasgow`s contribution to popular
cuisine deserves to be more widely recognised. Tikka Masala is
perhaps one of the earliest examples of `fusion` cuisine."
"Glaswegians loved the flavour of Asian spices but still
wanted a bit of gravy on their meat. The Shish Mahal pioneered
great Asian food with a Glasgow twist."
Sarwar said he is hopeful that the "EU will give Chicken
Tikka Masala the official stamp of Glasgow origin."
Glasgow City Council is backing his campaign.
Meanwhile, Birmingham City Council is seeking a similar
status for ‘Balti’ range of dishes on the ground that they
were invented by immigrants from the Indian sub-continent in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days