Chile, Spain sign wind energy pact
Santiago, July 31: Chile and Spain will spend more than USD 1 billion to set up Latin America's largest wind farm in this Andean nation, a news agency reported on Thursday.
Spain's energy firm Grupo Enhol and Chile's Haciendas Talinay Wednesday announced their joint venture Eolica Talinay that would have a capacity to produce 500 megawatts of electricity.
The project would be built in three phases near the city of Ovalle, some 411 km north of Santiago. It would start in 2009 and would be completed in 2011, a statement issued by Enhol said.
The project would include construction of aerial transmission lines, electricity substation and an open cultural centre, among others.
Enhol director Alfonso Arroyo said: "The aim of the project is to generate clean energy and sustainable development in the area."
Besides supply of renewable energy, the project would create jobs for the local people.
After completion, the project is expected to prevent 19 million tonnes of carbon emissions between 2010 and 2024.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India