China admits its cos shipped fake drugs
New Delhi: China has admitted that its pharmaceutical companies were involved in shipping fake drugs labelled `Made In India` to Nigeria.
"The Chinese authorities have accepted this position
(that its firms were involved in the case)," an official said.
"The Indian government took up the matter with the
Nigerian authorities and on further probe, it was found
that the drugs had actually originated in China and not
in India," he added.
In June, Nigeria`s drug regulatory authority National
Agency for Food And Drug Administration And Control (NAFDAC)
had reported about the detention of a large consignment of
fake anti-malarial generic pharmaceuticals labeled `Made in
India` which were actually produced in China.
Following the incident, India took up the issue with
China fearing that this could damage the reputation of the
12-billion-dollar Indian pharmaceutical industry in the global
Though, China had assured of investigations in the
matter, Indian authorities were not given any time frame.
India has asked its missions in the region to step up
vigil for protecting the nation`s image and market.
"These kinds of incidents are also tarnishing the image
of the Indian pharmaceutical products in the international
market," the official said.
To crack down on the growing menace of spurious drugs,
the government will introduce measures including roping in of
private detective agencies, setting up a separate intelligence
network and a reward up to Rs 25 lakh for informers.
"Steps are also being taken to set up drug testing
centres at various ports, besides offering rebates in ceiling
price to drug manufacturers adopting latest packing technology
to counter the menace," an official said.
On August 3, a four-member Nigerian delegation led by
NAFDAC Director General Paul Orhii met Indian authorities and
discussed the recent seizure of the drug consignment.
NAFDAC has taken up the issue with the Interpol which is
looking into the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!