China blasts claim it `hijacked` climate talks
Beijing: China on Tuesday dismissed a British
editorial accusing it of "hijacking" the UN-sponsored climate
talks in Copenhagen as baseless and politically motivated.
British climate change minister Edward Miliband`s
editorial singled out Beijing as the culprit behind the talks`
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu said the
piece seemed designed to sow discord among developing nations.
She said the comments by an individual British
politician - not mentioning Miliband by name - were an attempt
to "shirk the obligations of developed countries to their
developing counterparts and foment discord among developing
countries, but the attempt was doomed to fail."
Miliband yesterday wrote in The Guardian newspaper
that most countries - developed and developing - supported
binding cuts in emissions, but that "some leading developing
countries currently refuse to countenance this."
"We did not get an agreement on 50 percent reductions
in global emissions by 2050 or on 80 percent reductions by
developed countries. Both were vetoed by China, despite the
support of a coalition of developed and the vast majority of
developing countries," he wrote.
"We cannot again allow negotiations on real points of
substance to be hijacked in this way," he wrote.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof