China breeds genetically engineered monkey
New Delhi: Chinese scientists said that they have bred the country`s first genetically engineered rhesus monkey, which could lead to development of cures for diseases ranging from cancer to Alzheimer`s.
Scientists used green fluorescent protein (GFP), a substance that was originally isolated from a jellyfish and implanted transgenic embryos in the uteri of surrogate mother monkeys.
According to Ji Weizhi, a researcher with the Kunming Institute of Zoology under the Chinese Academy of Sciences, the two monkeys were carrying the GFP gene.
An animal tagged with GFP glows green when exposed to ultraviolet light, proving that a key gene sequence has been switched on, reports The China Daily.
"The work is important because medical researchers have wanted an animal model that is closer to the human anatomy than rodents," said Dr Niu, a member of Weizhi’s team.
Transgenic mice have been the mainstay of pre-clinical lab work and allowed scientists to test their theories before trying them out on human volunteers.
However, it’s a hotbed for controversies, brewed by fears that technology used on primates could be used to create genetically engineered humans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25