China funding bid to buy Liverpool FC: Reports
London: China is funding a bid to buy Liverpool Football Club, as Beijing seeks to extend its rapidly growing global influence into the world of British sport, reports said.
China`s overseas investment arm China Investment Corp (CIC) is providing funds for the bid fronted by businessman Kenny Huang to acquire the top sporting brand, reported Britain`s The Times and Guardian newspapers.
The news is a dramatic twist in the saga of troubled Liverpool, whose American owners put the Premier League club up for sale in April, weighed down by more than 200 million pounds (318 million dollars) of debt.
CIC`s emergence as a bidder for Liverpool sets up a takeover battle, with the Chinese pitted against a private equity group and a wealthy Kuwaiti family for control of the club, according to The Times.
The Chinese sovereign wealth fund`s bid values the club at between 300 million and 350 million pounds, said The Times.
If the takeover attempt succeeded, CIC would end up owning the majority of the club.
The fund would expect to make money by building a bigger stadium and developing the club`s Asian fan base.
A CIC executive in Beijing, who asked not to be named, said: "I just read the report. I`m not aware of this matter."
Speculation has been mounting about Chinese sports tycoon Huang`s interest in the club, and he was forced to issue a statement Wednesday denying reports he had made a formal bid.
"Mr. Huang would like to emphasize that he has registered interest in investing in Liverpool FC but has made no formal bid," said a statement from his representatives, Hill & Knowlton.
Huang, the head of Hong Kong-based investment company QSL Sports Ltd, is believed to want to secure an early agreement to give manager Roy Hodgson time to bring in reinforcements before the end of the transfer window.
He is believed to have spoken to senior figures at Anfield to express his seriousness about a buy-out, in the hope that it will help persuade top stars like Fernando Torres that the club does have a better future.
On Tuesday, Liverpool chairman Martin Broughton announced "several" potential buyers had submitted bids.
Liverpool is just the latest Premier League side to be targeted by a foreign country. Clubs already in foreign hands include Aston Villa, Birmingham and Manchester United.
Liverpool was put on market by American co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillet in April, and the club owes 237 million pounds to its principal lender Royal Bank of Scotland.
CIC was established to invest overseas some of China`s massive foreign exchange reserves -- which stood at 2.447 trillion dollars at the end of March -- partly to gain better returns.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'