China pet shops offer `lucky` tattooed fish
Beijing: Pet shops in a city in southwest
China are offering fish tattooed with patterns and lucky
characters intended to bring their owners good fortune and
The Qingshiqiao pet market in Chengdu sells a variety of
ornamental "fortune fish" decorated with flowers, rainbows and
characters, the Huaxi Metropolis Daily reported today.
Tropical parrot fish are usually used for tattooing,
often with the Chinese characters meaning "May your business
boom," the regional newspaper said on its website.
A dealer said lasers were used to tattoo the fish.
An ordinary parrot fish sells for just 10 yuan while a
tattooed one goes for at least 25 yuan.
A set of four fish tattooed with the characters for "Good
Fortune," "Luck," "Long Life," and "Happiness" can cost 120
yuan, the paper said.
Tattooed fish first appeared on the market in 2005 but
only became popular in the past year or two.
While some shoppers interviewed by the paper said the
idea of tattooed fish was novel, others thought it was cruel.
Fisheries expert Zhang Zhicheng said no one had studied
how the tattoos would affect the fish.
"To use a laser to tattoo will surely affect the fish.
It`s like tattooing a human being`s body, it breaks the
physiological balance of the fish and damages the skin`s
protective surface," Zhang was quoted as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi