China`s growth accelerates to 10.7 percent in 4Q
Beijing: China`s economic growth accelerated to 10.7 percent in the final quarter of 2009, adding to pressure on Beijing to cool inflation pressures while keeping the country`s recovery on track.
The quarterly growth announced Thursday exceeded most forecasts and brought 2009`s full-year expansion to 8.7 percent. The government had forecast 8.3 percent growth for the year.
China has rebounded strongly from the global downturn but the government worries that heavy stimulus spending and bank lending might fuel inflation. Regulators have ordered banks to control lending and analysts expect them to raise interest rates this year.
"At present, the base of the world economic recovery is relatively weak. There are uncertainties in domestic economic development," Ma Jiantang, commissioner of the National Bureau of Statistics, said at a news conference. "We should ... maintain consistency and stability of macroeconomic policy."
Consumer prices fell through much of the year but the decline turned around in November and prices rose by 1.9 percent in December from a year earlier, Ma said.
China has led the recovery from the global financial and economic crisis, due partly to its 4 trillion yuan (USD 586 billion) of stimulus spending.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video