China`s Harbin awaits approval for 2018 Winter bid
Beijing: Harbin is awaiting approval from China`s cabinet before launching a bid to host the 2018 Winter Olympics, an official at the city`s sports bureau told reporters.
The northern metropolis of nearly 10 million people, which failed to make the shortlist for the 2010 Games, wants to bring the Olympics back to China a decade after the successful Summer Games in Beijing.
"We are applying for the 2018 Winter Olympics, Harbin wants to host the Games," Li Chunlei, who is working on the bid project, said by telephone.
"But it is under the examination and approval of the State Council and there is still some time to go before the deadline."
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) launched the bid process for the 2018 Games at the end of last month and China has until Oct. 15 to put forward the name of a bid city.
"If we submit our bidding to the IOC before the deadline it means we got approval," Li said. "If we don`t, we just don`t."
Permission may not be forthcoming, however.
Sports minister Liu Peng, told a website two weeks ago that it would be "difficult" given the strength of the other contenders. South Korea`s Pyeongchang is likely to launch its third bid to host Asia`s first Winter Olympics outside Japan, while Munich, Geneva and Norway`s Tromso are also expected to be in the race.
Harbin invested 3.1 billion yuan (USD 453.7 million) on building Olympic standard facilities for this year`s Winter University Games, including the venue for China`s first accredited Alpine skiing downhill race and a snowboarding and biathlon park.
Organisers said only bobsled and luge runs would now need to be built and there remains little doubt it will be the host city when China does hold the Winter Games, even if it is not in 2018.
"The Chinese people are keen to host a Winter Games," China`s deputy sports minister Cui Dalin told reporters recently.
"Harbin, with unique geographical conditions for ice and snow and people who love the winter sports, is enthusiastic about hosting a Winter Olympics."
"I believe they will continue bidding until they win, until China successfully hosts a Winter Olympics."
The 2010 Games take place in Vancouver, Canada, while the Black Sea resort of Sochi will host Russia`s first Winter Olympics in 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday