Chinese Def Minister wished to give cash gift to military band
New Delhi: After giving an unusual gift of Rs one lakh cash to two Indian Air Force (IAF) pilots, Chinese Defence Minister Gen Liang Guanglie planned to repeat such an action with regard to a military band playing at a banquet hosted by Defence Minister AK Antony.
But his plan could not be executed as the Indian side dissuaded him from doing so saying there was no such practice, sources said.
The development took place on the evening of September 4 when Gen Liang was at Air Force`s Akash Officers` Mess near India Gate here and an IAF band was playing both Hindi and Chinese songs which was appreciated by the Chinese side, they said.
When the banquet was getting over, the band in-charge was asked to be prepared as the Chinese Defence Minister wanted to give them some gift as token of his appreciation, sources said.
However, fresh from the experience of giving money to the two IAF pilots on September 3, the Indian side apprehended that the gift would be in cash and dissuaded the Chinese side from giving it saying there was no such practice, they said.
At the end of the function, the IAF band was not presented with any gift by the Chinese side, sources said.
While coming to Delhi from Mumbai, the Chinese Defence Minister presented two envelopes carrying Rs 50,000 each to the two IAF pilots belonging to the communication squadron of the force.
After finding the unusual cash gifts in the envelopes, the two IAF pilots reported the matter to their superiors and deposited the money in the Government depository.
Meanwhile, the Defence Ministry is not keen on taking up the issue with the Chinese side but feels that giving such gifts was not in tune with Indian traditions.
The Defence Ministry has also written a letter to the MEA in this regard but not recommended any action or follow-up on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'