`Chinese device can identify passers-by using their gait`
London: Chinese scientists have developed a unique biometrics device, probably for the military, that uses a person`s pace to identify them covertly, according to a
confidential US cable leaked by WikiLeaks.
The Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) Institute of Intelligent Machines (IIM) in Hefei, capital of Anhui province has developed a biometrics device that uses a person`s pace to
identify them, a cable sent from the US Embassy in Beijing was quoted as saying by the whistle-blower website WikiLeaks.
"The device measure weight and two-dimensional sheer forces applied by a person`s foot during walking to create a uniquely identifiable biometrics profile. The device can be
covertly installed in a floor and is able to collect biometrics data on individuals covertly without their knowledge."
"When questioned about the device`s potential applications, IIM officials stated the device was being used by "secret" customers and was not available on the commercial
market," according to the leaked cable published in Britain`s Guardian newspaper.
IIM also said they were involved with China`s "Programme 863." Programme 863 is China`s national high-technology development plan that includes both military and
civilian technology development programmes.
"Therefore, it is likely the People`s Liberation Army (PLA) is one of the customers for whom this biometrics device was developed," the US cable says.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference