`Chinese device can identify passers-by using their gait`
London: Chinese scientists have developed a unique biometrics device, probably for the military, that uses a person`s pace to identify them covertly, according to a
confidential US cable leaked by WikiLeaks.
The Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) Institute of Intelligent Machines (IIM) in Hefei, capital of Anhui province has developed a biometrics device that uses a person`s pace to
identify them, a cable sent from the US Embassy in Beijing was quoted as saying by the whistle-blower website WikiLeaks.
"The device measure weight and two-dimensional sheer forces applied by a person`s foot during walking to create a uniquely identifiable biometrics profile. The device can be
covertly installed in a floor and is able to collect biometrics data on individuals covertly without their knowledge."
"When questioned about the device`s potential applications, IIM officials stated the device was being used by "secret" customers and was not available on the commercial
market," according to the leaked cable published in Britain`s Guardian newspaper.
IIM also said they were involved with China`s "Programme 863." Programme 863 is China`s national high-technology development plan that includes both military and
civilian technology development programmes.
"Therefore, it is likely the People`s Liberation Army (PLA) is one of the customers for whom this biometrics device was developed," the US cable says.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday