Choppers bring EVMs from remote districts
Imphal: Election officials in in Manipur on Sunday used helicopters to collect electronic voting machines (EVMs) from 63 polling booths in the remote Ukhrul and Chandel districts of the state.
Elections to the 10th Manipur assembly were held Saturday amidst violence and saw an over 80 percent turnout, which could go up to 86 percent once the final tabulations are done. At least seven people, including a suspected Naga militant and a paramilitary trooper, were killed in the violence.
"The polling continued till 10 p.m. in some of the remote polling booths in the state on Saturday. We have not been able to calculate the final polling percentage as we are still waiting for polling percentage of 63 polling booths," an election official told IANS.
"There are a total of 279 polling booths in Chandel and Ukhrul district. While we have received the polling percentage of 216 polling booths, the reports from remaining 63 polling booths are yet to come," said the official while adding that it should reach the state capital by Sunday evening.
"We have used the services of some helicopters to bring the EVMs and the polling personnel from the remote locations. We are hopeful that the polling officials and the EVMs will reach the state capital by today evening," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...