Choppers bring EVMs from remote districts
Imphal: Election officials in in Manipur on Sunday used helicopters to collect electronic voting machines (EVMs) from 63 polling booths in the remote Ukhrul and Chandel districts of the state.
Elections to the 10th Manipur assembly were held Saturday amidst violence and saw an over 80 percent turnout, which could go up to 86 percent once the final tabulations are done. At least seven people, including a suspected Naga militant and a paramilitary trooper, were killed in the violence.
"The polling continued till 10 p.m. in some of the remote polling booths in the state on Saturday. We have not been able to calculate the final polling percentage as we are still waiting for polling percentage of 63 polling booths," an election official told IANS.
"There are a total of 279 polling booths in Chandel and Ukhrul district. While we have received the polling percentage of 216 polling booths, the reports from remaining 63 polling booths are yet to come," said the official while adding that it should reach the state capital by Sunday evening.
"We have used the services of some helicopters to bring the EVMs and the polling personnel from the remote locations. We are hopeful that the polling officials and the EVMs will reach the state capital by today evening," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday