Churchill`s painting auctioned off for over £313K
London: Former British Prime Minister Winston Churchill`s painting of Walmer Beach has been auctioned off for 313,250 pounds by Christie`s.
The painting was completed in 1938 and depicts a beach near Dover in Kent, the BBC reports.
The painting is dominated by an ancient cannon that still guards the seaward approach to Walmer Castle.
Churchill had gifted the painting to his chief military adviser General Ismay during the Second World War.
Although Churchill loathed giving his art, family history suggests he always had a painting for the General.
The Walmer beach view, according to General Ismay, represented Churchill guarding the coast of England.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest