Churchill`s painting auctioned off for over £313K
London: Former British Prime Minister Winston Churchill`s painting of Walmer Beach has been auctioned off for 313,250 pounds by Christie`s.
The painting was completed in 1938 and depicts a beach near Dover in Kent, the BBC reports.
The painting is dominated by an ancient cannon that still guards the seaward approach to Walmer Castle.
Churchill had gifted the painting to his chief military adviser General Ismay during the Second World War.
Although Churchill loathed giving his art, family history suggests he always had a painting for the General.
The Walmer beach view, according to General Ismay, represented Churchill guarding the coast of England.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!