Citi cuts India`s growth outlook to 5.8% for FY ‘10
New Delhi: Financial major Citigroup on Tuesday slashed its outlook for India`s gross domestic product to 5.8 percent from its earlier projection of 6.8 percent on anxiety about the drought situation in the country.
"Factoring in negative agri growth, but leaving industry and services unchanged, we cut our FY10 GDP estimates to 5.8 percent from 6.8 percent," Citi India economist Rohini Malkani said in a note titled `Estimates Cropped…As Drought Fears Turn Real`.
Further, the financial services firm said the relief measures could widen the projected fiscal deficit of 6.8 percent for the current fiscal to 7 percent. Citi also raised its forecast for the year-end inflation to 6 percent from 4 percent earlier on higher food prices.
"The worst fears have come true. The rains have played truant resulting in 209 out of 593 districts already being declared drought affected," Citi said, adding it now expects tightening of policy rates by 125 basis points instead of 75 points seen earlier in the fiscal.
However, the bank said the economic impact of the drought will be muted due to various factors, including ongoing measures (NREGS, farm waiver, pay commission), stock of food grains and buoyant forex reserves if the need for import arises.
Besides, Citi kept its outlook for exchange rates unchanged at Rs 46 and Rs 44.5 for the financial years 2009-10 and 2010-11, respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah