`Clear evidence of Musharraf meeting militant Chetia`
Dhaka: On a day Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina flew to New Delhi for summit level talks, a minister on Sunday repeated the charge that there was "clear evidence" the-then Pakistan president Pervez Musharraf met Indian militant Anup Chetia during an official visit here in 2002.
Local Government Minister and Awami League general secretary Syed Ashraful Islam on Sunday said there was "clear evidence" regarding a meeting between Musharraf and Anup Chetia of the banned United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA).
The meeting, which lasted 90 minutes and took place in Musharraf`s hotel room, was "facilitated" by then Khaleda Zia government.
The reiteration came apparently in response to a denial by Zia`s aide and Bangladesh National Secretary General Khandaker Delawar Hossain who called the minister`s charge "irresponsible".
"I am aware that no comment should be made about a president without any evidence," Ashraful Islam told newspersons.
"Pervez Musharraf had a one-and-half-hour meeting with detained ULFA leader Anup Chetia when BNP (Bangladesh Nationalist Party)-led alliance was in power," he told a round table meet on Bangladesh-India relations.
"You can guess what had been discussed in such long meeting," bdnews24 website quoted him as saying.
Chetia, secretary general of ULFA that is banned in India and many other countries, is currently detained in a Bangladesh jail since his arrest in 1998.
He was convicted for travelling with fake documents and jailed for four years. However, he has not been handed over to India for lack of an extradition treaty.
Chetia is not covered by a treaty that Bangladesh and India are slated to sign in New Delhi in the coming week.
India has for long alleged that separatist groups in its northeastern region operate from Bangladesh soil and the operations are coordinated by Pakistan`s Inter-Services intelligence (ISI).
In the recent weeks, seven top ULFA leaders, including its chief Arabinda Rajkhowa, have been nabbed by Indian authorities.
The ULFA has been pursuing an armed struggle since 1979 with the professed objective of liberating the northeastern Indian state of Assam from what they term as New Delhi`s `colonial rule`.
The minister also said that 10-truckloads of weapons off-loaded in Chittagong port in 2004 and 30 million bullets in Bogra in Bangladesh were actually meant for use by the ULFA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced