Clijsters climbs to second in WTA rankings
Berlin: Kim Clijsters moved into second place of the women`s tennis rankings with her Australian Open title Saturday while runner-up Li Na reached a career-high number seven in the latest WTA list issued Monday.
Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark maintained first place with 8,655 points although Li ended her latest attempt to finally win a Grand Slam in the Melbourne sims.
The Belgian Clijsters is in striking distance with 8,515 points as the former number one moved up one place at the expense of Russian Vera Zvonareva, down to third with 7,405 points.
Li became the first Chinese to reach a Grand Slam singles final and moved from 11th to seventh. The 2010 Melbourne winner Serena Williams, by contrast, dropped out of the top 10 into 14th place after not playing Down Under.
WTA top 10 as of January 31 (previous ranking in parenthesis):
1. (1) Caroline Wozniacki, Denmark, 8,655 points
2. (3) Kim Clijsters, Belgium, 8,515
3. (2) Vera Zvonareva, Russia, 7,405
4. (7) Francesca Schiavone, Italy, 5,055
5. (6) Samantha Stosur, Australia, 4,862
6. (5) Venus Williams, United States, 4,645
7. (11) Li Na, China, 4,450
8. (8) Jelena Jankovic, Serbia, 4,385
9. (9) Victoria Azarenka, Belarus, 3,935
10. (14) Agnieszka Radwanska, Poland, 3,340
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder