Clijsters climbs to second in WTA rankings
Berlin: Kim Clijsters moved into second place of the women`s tennis rankings with her Australian Open title Saturday while runner-up Li Na reached a career-high number seven in the latest WTA list issued Monday.
Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark maintained first place with 8,655 points although Li ended her latest attempt to finally win a Grand Slam in the Melbourne sims.
The Belgian Clijsters is in striking distance with 8,515 points as the former number one moved up one place at the expense of Russian Vera Zvonareva, down to third with 7,405 points.
Li became the first Chinese to reach a Grand Slam singles final and moved from 11th to seventh. The 2010 Melbourne winner Serena Williams, by contrast, dropped out of the top 10 into 14th place after not playing Down Under.
WTA top 10 as of January 31 (previous ranking in parenthesis):
1. (1) Caroline Wozniacki, Denmark, 8,655 points
2. (3) Kim Clijsters, Belgium, 8,515
3. (2) Vera Zvonareva, Russia, 7,405
4. (7) Francesca Schiavone, Italy, 5,055
5. (6) Samantha Stosur, Australia, 4,862
6. (5) Venus Williams, United States, 4,645
7. (11) Li Na, China, 4,450
8. (8) Jelena Jankovic, Serbia, 4,385
9. (9) Victoria Azarenka, Belarus, 3,935
10. (14) Agnieszka Radwanska, Poland, 3,340
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dope test scandal: After wrestler Narsingh Yadav, shot putter Inderjeet Singh tests positive for banned substance
- Historic solar flight marks first round-the-world journey
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics