Clijsters doubtful for French Open
Brussels: World number two Kim Clijsters is a major doubt for the French Open next month after injuring her ankle at her cousin`s wedding.
The Belgian, twice a finalist at Roland Garros, was already facing four weeks out due to a painful shoulder and wrist.
"Kim has injured her ankle. She won`t be able to compete for four to six weeks. Her participation in the French Open is no longer certain," a statement said on her website.
"At the wedding party of her cousin Tim, Kim injured her ankle severely. The consequences are rather dire. Kim`s ankle is now completely immobilised and she can not use her foot for a few days."
The French Open, which starts in six weeks, is already without former world number one and 13-times grand slam champion Serena Williams after she also suffered serious injury off the court last July.
American Williams has been sidelined since cutting her foot on broken glass at a restaurant in Germany. She has had two operations on her foot and recently suffered a pulmonary embolism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt