Clijsters set to play in French Open
Brussels: Belgium`s Kim Clijsters has confirmed that she will take part in the French Open which gets underway at Roland Garros on Sunday, despite being out of action for six weeks.
"I am very happy to be able to take part (in the French Open)," she said on her official website.
The 27-year-old former world number one has not played since her quarter-final loss in Miami to Victoria Azarenka on March 31, when she complained of wrist and shoulder pain.
She then picked up a serious ankle injury at her cousin`s wedding in April.
Clijsters resumed training at the start of May with the intention of playing in the French Open for the first time since 2006, but has been unable to play in any tournament.
"It feels great to be back playing again - I really missed it," she said.
"We will leave for Paris on Wednesday because I want to get in some useful practice on the clay courts.
"Everything is going well. I am hitting the ball well. I still feel a litle bit of pain in the ankle, but I have a tight bandage on it and that helps me."
The Belgium has won the last two Grand Slam tournaments - last year`s US Open and the Australian Open in January and she will be seeded second in Paris. She has never won the French Open having lost twice in the final.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh arrives in Kashmir, meets civil society delegation
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Turkey frees 1,200 soldiers detained after coup bid: Prosecutor
- Munich gunman 'deranged', had no links to Islamic State: Police
- New protein helps scientists understand Alzheimer's disease
- Munich shooting had `obvious link` to Breivik: Police
- Ranveer Singh and Karan Johar to work together! Details inside