Clijsters wins WTA player of the year for second time
London: Belgian Kim Clijsters sealed a glittering comeback with the Women`s Tennis Association award for player of the year and swiftly paid tribute to her fellow competitors, the WTA announced on Wednesday.
"This year I met a lot of new girls and it was very nice that so many of them had positive reactions to my daughter Jada as well," the 27-year-old, who took two years off to start a family, said after scooping the prize for the second time.
"I want to thank my fellow players and the media who voted for me and I look forward to seeing everyone again in Australia," the US Open champion added.
In 2010 Clijsters won her third title at Flushing Meadows in New York and another four tournaments, including the season-ending championships in Doha.
Compatriot Justine Henin, who followed Clijsters by returning to competitive tennis in January after a similar length break, won comeback player of the year after reaching the Australian Open final.
Russians Elena Dementieva and Maria Sharapova were also rewarded, the former for her conduct, attitude and fair play after she announced her retirement from the sport at the WTA Championships in late October, and Sharapova for her role as a United Nations Goodwill Ambassador.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow