Climate change: Industry alarmed over `change` in stance
New Delhi: The industry on Saturday said it is
"alarmed" over reports that the government may alter its
negotiation stance at the forthcoming Copenhagen Summit on
climate change and drop the per capita basis emission
"We are alarmed by reports that the government may change
its stance on the principle that emission of all countries
should converge on per capita basis. We strongly suggest that
per capita emission remains the basis for greenhouse gas
emission reduction," Ficci president Harsh Pati Singhania said
in a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Singhania said the Prime Minister had also supported the
principle of per capita emission cuts when he spoke recently
at the Delhi High Level Conference on Climate Change,
Technology Development and Transfer.
"It is important that India and other developing
economies push for a climate change regime that has
convergence of greenhouse gas emissions on equal per capita
basis worldwide," the Ficci chief said.
The Prime Minister will be attending the Copenhagen
Summit begining Monday on climate change along with a galaxy
world leaders including US president Barack Obama.
India being the second most populous country, its per
capita emission works out to its favour at 1.2
against 20 tonne in the US.
Environment Minister Jayram Ramesh is quoted as saying
that the per capita emission reduction norms cannot remain the
plank for Indian negotiators. He described the country`s
low emission on this basis as "a historical accident".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Sakshi Malik announced brand ambassador of Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao campaign in Haryana
- 'Law & Order' actor Steven Hill dies at 94
- Biopic on Kishore Kumar, RD Burman shouldn't be made: Naseeruddin Shah
- Samsung Electronics says Galaxy Note 7 demand beats supply
- Tesla unveils 100 kWh battery for Model S, Model X cars