Club in match-fix probe out of Champions League
Istanbul: Turkish champion Fenerbahce has been removed from the Champions League because of an ongoing match-fixing investigation.
Turkey`s Football Federation says it has withdrawn Fenerbahce after meetings on Wednesday.
Fenerbahce`s removal comes 24 hours before it was to take its place among 32 elite European clubs in the group stage draw being conducted in Monaco.
It is unclear how UEFA will choose a team to replace Fenerbahce, which is suspected of fixing matches to win the title last season.
Runner-up Trabzonspor was eliminated in the Champions League qualifying rounds but has also been implicated in the match-fixing probe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet