Clumsy Gabon held to goalless draw by Tunisia
Lubango: Gabon missed out on an opportunity to reach the African Nations Cup quarter-finals with a game to spare when they were held to a goalless stalemate by Tunisia on Sunday.
Gabon, who started their campaign with a 1-0 win over Cameroon, top Group D with four points from two matches, with Tunisia in second place on two points.
Third-placed Zambia (1) were facing Cameroon (0) in the group`s other game of the day (1830) at Lubango`s Tundavala stadium.
Alain Giresse`s side will play their final group match against Zambia on Thursday while Tunisia will face Cameroon.
The Gabon Panthers dominated throughout but failed to convert a handful of chances through Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Stephane Nguema.
After a shaky start, Gabon took control of the game and came close to opening the scoring when Eric Mouloungui`s diving header shaved Aymen Mathlouthi`s post.
Tunisia hit back five minutes later as midfielder Amine Chermiti collected a through ball, only for Didier Ovono to dive at his feet in the box.
Aubameyang then broke down the right flank and unleashed a powerful drive that was parried away by Mathlouthi as the Panthers piled on the pressure.
Juts before the break, Mouloungui again got the better of a hesitant Tunisia defence but his header went just wide.
The Carthage Eagles stepped up a gear after the interval but they failed to take advantage of an Ovono blunder as the clock ticked past the hour.
The scare spurred Gabon back into the game and Mathlouthi was made to work by a sudden Nguema floating drive from the right.
As the rain started to pelt down in Lubango, Gabon were denied a last-minute penalty when Ammar Jemel brought Daniel Cousin down in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS