Co-operative banking sector clocks double digit growth
Ahmedabad: The co-operative banking sector
scenario in the country stands improved as the sector has
clocked a double digit growth of 12-13 percent in its
deposits, a top official said.
"The deposits of co-operative banks in the country
stood at 1.17 lakh crore upto March 2007, and reached Rs 1.38
lakh crores upto March 2008, a hike of 12-13 pc," National
Federation of Urban Co-operative Banks and Credit Societies
(NAFCUB) CEO D Krishna told a news agency.
"We expect the growth in co-operative banking sector
to be better this fiscal, especially after RBI`s nod to the
co-operative banks to open new branches," Krishna said.
Also, the working of co-operative banks in the country
is satisfactory now. The 1770 odd co-operative banks in India
today deploy total working capital (deposits and share capital
plus reserves) of Rs 1.50 lakh crores in service and have
deposits of Rs 1.38 lakh crores upto March 2008," NAFCUB
Chairman H K Patil told reporters.
"We are looking at setting new targets for deposits in
the next proposed General Body Meeting of the Federation on
September 22," Patil said.
If we want financial inclusion to happen in India,
then co-operative sector should be encouraged by the
regulators, he said.
"In the last one decade, co-operatives` have been
neglected and discouraged by the regulators or government.
Almost a prohibition was imposed on the sector`s growth,"
"Consequently, money lenders share in the finance
market grew from 17 percent in 2001 to 29 percent in 2008.
The figures on money lenders market share are as per data of
Sen Gupta Committee report," he said.
On co-operative banking scenario in Gujarat, Chairman
Gujarat Urban Co-operative Banks Federation Jyotindra Mehta
said, "the state co-operatives registered deposits of Rs
16,700 crore in 2008, and we expect to cross Rs 17,800 crore
mark this fiscal."
The growth in deposits here has been around 9-10 percent, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla