Colaco wants salary cap for footballers
New Delhi: Indian football coach Armando Colaco today said that there should be salary cap for players as smaller clubs are at a disadvantage in the transfer market.
The newly-appointed coach felt that small-budget clubs are finding it difficult to sustain as big sides have been offering hefty pay packages to some players.
"Clubs like East Bengal and Mohun Bagan have big budgets and they are offering big sums to some players. This is not good as the small clubs are at a disadvantage," Colaco said after the team training session.
The Indian probables are undergoing training at the Ambedkar Stadium here as part of preparation for the 2014 World Cup qualifiers against United Arab Emirates next month.
"The small clubs also need returns to sustain but they do not get good players because of lack of money," he said.
Punjab-based JCT Club, which has been struggling financially and in terms of results, today disbanded itself from professional football citing lack of public interest in the game in the country.
Striker Sunil Chhetri, who had played for JCT for three years in the I-League, said it was a sad moment for Indian football.
"It is a sad day for Indian football. I spent three wonderful years at JCT," he said.
"JCT have produced some talented players and the disbandment will be a blow to Punjab football and Indian football," Chhetri said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?