Colossal statue of King Tut’s grandfather unearthed
Washington: A unique statue of King Amenhotep III, who is believed to be the grandfather of King Tutankhamun, has been unearthed at his funerary temple on the west bank of the Nile near Luxor.
A statement released on Tuesday by Egypt’s ministry of state for antiquities said that the discovery was accomplished by a team of Egyptian and European archaeologists, reports Discovery News.
Finely carved in alabaster, a stone hewn in the quarries of Hatnub in Middle Egypt, the sculpture shows King Amenhotep III seated, wearing the Nemes headdress (a striped headcloth that pharaohs put on), a pleated kilt and a royal beard.
Measuring 1.20 meters in height, the well-preserved face of the pharaoh has been described by antiquities minister Zahi Hawass as "a masterpiece of royal portraiture."
It features almond-shaped eyes outlined with cosmetic bands, a short nose and a large mouth with wide lips.
Amenhotep III (1390-1352 B.C.) ruled for 38 years during a time when Egypt was at the height of its prosperity and cultural development.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know