Coming soon: Harry Potter`s invisibility cloak!
London: The dream of every Harry Potter
fan of owning an "invisibility cloak" seems to be soon coming
true, with British scientists developing such a garment which
will render the wearer invisible to the human eye.
A team at Imperial College hopes to create a cloak
from a new material that can manipulate light. Normally, when
light hits an object, it bounces off the surface and into the
eye, making the object visible.
According to the scientists, the invisibility
cloak made from "meta-material" would work by "grabbing hold"
of light waves and making them flow smoothly around an object,
in the same way that water in a river flows round a stick.
Putting the cloak on will allow the wearer to move
around unseen, the `Daily Mail` reported.
In fact, the scientists say the meta-material
could have a range of other applications, including creating
super-sensitive microscopes and airport security sensors that
can spot tiny amounts of chemicals.
However, they admit the Harry Potter cloak is likely
to generate the most interest.
Sir John Pendry, who is leading the project, which is
being funded by the Leverhulme Trust and will be carried out
with the University of Southampton, said: "We`ve shown that an
optical invisibility cloak is theoretically possible -- the
big challenge now is to build it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam