Coming soon, ultra-long lasting insulin
New Delhi: In a major breakthrough in diabetes treatment, a team of Indian researchers have developed a novel form of insulin that to help diabetics in controlling their blood sugar level in an easy way.
As of now, diabetics have to take go through daily painful pinpricks to inject doses of the medicine - the longest that the prevailing insulin types last in the body is 16-18 hours. With the new method, a single shot of insulin – which will have extended life in the body - could help maintain near normal blood sugar levels for as long as 120 days.
This medical breakthrough is of paramount importance in India as it is considered the diabetes capital of the world, with as many as 50 million people suffering from this chronic disease.
The new form of insulin has been developed by the researchers of the National Immunology Institute, New Delhi under the guidance of Professor Avadhesha Surolia.
They demonstrated a new “prodrug”—precursor of a drug—that releases just about the right amount of insulin in the body in a sustained manner.
The team spent 2 million rupees and took two years to come with this novel solution. These scientists have already patented the technology, commercialized it and the new insulin could well become a big money spinner in times to come.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- China to feel Brexit effects, yuan to weaken against dollar: JP Morgan
- As Central India faces drought, violence and murders on the rise over water
- Baby boom! Teejay Sidhu and Karanvir Bohra to become parents for the first time
- Tripura Governor gets additional charge of Arunachal Pradesh
- Bucket list: You must try these things at least once before turning 25!