`Communities should work for preserving endangered languages`
New Delhi: Concerned over findings that
around 196 languages stood endangered in India, experts here
today said efforts should be made to preserve them and
communities should take a lead in reviving their languages.
A number of experts and specialists from various parts of
the world gathered in the capital for a two-day seminar to
analyse UNESCO`s findings on endangered languages in India,
and to discuss ways to revive them.
According to the UNESCO Atlas of the world`s languages in
danger 2009, the country has around 196 endangered languages,
including about 120 in Northeast, which are among the highest
in the world.
"Efforts should be made to preserve languages and
communities whose mother tongues are under threat of
extinction should actively work for reviving them," said Jean
Robert Opgenort, a UNESCO researcher for endangered languages.
The seminar was organised by heritage conservation body
INTACH to press for the "need to value and preserve" the rich
heritage of India`s composite culture.
"The finding by the UNESCO is a matter of concern. So the
emphasis needs to be given on ways to preserve the country`s
heritage," INTACH chairman S K Misra said earlier.
According to UNESCO findings, there are around 44
endangered languages in Himalayan states of Himachal Pradesh,
Jammu and Kashmir and Uttarakhand while there are about 42
endangered languages in Orissa, Jharkhand, Bihar and West
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video