Concussed Bayer goalkeeper suffers memory blank
Berlin: Bayer Leverkusen goalkeeper Fabian Giefer revealed Tuesday he can no longer remember what has happened to him in the last month after being concussed in a collision during last weekend`s German league match.
The 21-year-old insists he has suffered a memory black-out since colliding with Mainz`s Eric-Maxim Choupo-Moting in the 84th-minute of his team`s 2-0 defeat on Sunday.
"I have a total memory lapse. I did not even know how we played," he told a German daily newspaper after his team`s first Bundesliga match of the new season.
"I am missing a month of memories, it`s pretty scary."
Giefer was hospitalised after the game and says he has no recollection of his first-half blunder which led to Mainz striker Sami Allagui scoring the opening goal.
"I don`t remember anything about my mistake," he said.
"I don`t remember any of our preparations for this game or the hotel in Mainz or even our (pre-season) training camp in Zillertal (Austria)."
Giefer will now sit out his side`s next league game against Werder Bremen at home on Sunday, but Leverkusen now face a problem as to whom will play in goal.
Germany goalkeeper Rene Adler is unavailable with a knee injury until at least September and American David Yelldell is recovering after taking a knock to the face during Leverkusen`s shock German Cup defeat in Dresden 10 days ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days