Conduct local polls in 6 months: HC to Puducherry
Chennai: The Madras High Court on Monday directed the Puducherry government to "immediately initiate"
the process for conducting elections to the local bodies and
declare the results within six months.
The direction was given by a division bench comprising
Chief Justice M Y Eqbal and Justice K B K Vasuki while
disposing of a writ petition filed by Puducherry Communist
Party of India (Marxist) secretary, V Perumal.
The court gave the direction after noting a submission
made by Deputy Secretary (Local Administration) of the Union
Territory, N Sumathi, seeking six months time for holding the
Perumal had sought for a direction to the Centre and the
Puducherry government to immediately hold the elections.
Refuting the allegation of the CPI-M that the people of
Puducherry were being deprived of funds allotted towards
welfare schemes by the Central government, Sumathi claimed the
UT was getting substantial funds from the Centre for such
However, she said no central assistance was being given
to the local bodies in the UT as it was not covered by the
terms of reference of the Central Finance Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest