Confident of very free, fair polls in Assam: CEC
Guwahati: The Election Commission on Tuesday said the upcoming Assembly Elections in Assam would surpass the Bihar model of fair and fair polls with all precautionary measures being taken to ensure their orderly conduct.
"The assurance that I have got from the officers here have made me believe that people would henceforth talk about the Assam model the way people talked about the Bihar model in terms of orderly conduct of the polls in that state," Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) SY Quraishi told journalists here.
"We are confident of very free, fair and orderly polls in Assam."
The full bench of the three-member Election Commission on Tuesday concluded its two-day visit to Assam to review the preparedness of the two-phase vote April 4 and April 11 in 126 constituencies.
Quraishi expressed concern over paid news and the neutrality of some officers.
"We have in place district level media watch groups with a senior journalist deputed by the Press Council of India and they would monitor the issue of paid news like how we did in Bihar," Quraishi said.
"We have also ordered the transfer of 137 officers immediately who were either posted in their home district or in the same posting for more than three years. We have also kept under watch a few officers as well."
An estimated 18 million people are eligible to exercise their franchise in Assam.
"We are keeping a close watch on expenditures of candidates, violation of the model code of conduct, and other such related things," the Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Busy bee Nargis Fakhri dusts down rumours, looking forward to promote 'Banjo'!
- Pakistan's Hafiz Saeed managed the ISIS attack in Kabul that killed 80 people?
- The list of top 10 most valuable football clubs is out – See here!
- Watch Video: BlackBerry DTEK50, the world's most secured Android smartphone
- Unbelievable: Thousands throng daily at Taiwan McDonald's store to see a girl – Know why