‘Cong can`t seek votes in the name of development’
Sonebhadra: Accusing Congress of ruining
Uttar Pradesh in over 40 years of its rule, BSP chief Mayawati
on Saturday said the party should be ashamed of seeking votes in the
name of development in the state.
She also took potshots on the Congress` stand on Batla
House encounter, saying the party was befooling Muslims by
raking up the issue at the time of elections.
"Had the Congress wanted, it would have ordered probe
into the Batla House encounter to ascertain the reality behind
it. As the party is out of power in the state for the past 22
years, it is using the issue for political gains", Mayawati
said addressing an election meeting here.
"The party (Congress) should be ashamed of asking for
votes in the name of development as it has ruined the state in
its over 40 years rule," she said.
Claiming that her government had demanded Rs 80 thousand
crore for the state`s development from the Centre, Mayawati
alleged it "did not pay heed to UP`s demand."
Charging the central government with having a "casteist
mindset", she said it was because of this that the UPA
government did not give any package to the state and hindered
welfare works of her government.
"The Centre did not take any initiative to deal with
the recurring problem of floods in the purvanchal region of
the state", she said.
Lashing out at the opposition parties, she said Congress,
SP and BJP were unable to digest that BSP governent has
successfully worked for the welfare of all sections of
Making an appeal to the electorate to vote for the BSP,
she said those playing with the sentiments of people should
not be allowed to come to power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family