Cong faces trouble in Goa over ticket distribution
Panaji: The Congress in Goa continued to face trouble in its ranks over distribution of poll tickets for the March 3 Assembly polls with more leaders leaving the party.
As the ruling party, which has released names of 29 candidates, struggled to put up a united face, senior leader Oscar Fernandes arrived here to talk to dissidents.
Dinar Tarcar, a senior Congressman who was pitted against BJP`s Manohar Parrikar in 2007 polls, today resigned from the party.
He, however, said that he is yet to decide his future course of action. "I will hold a meeting of my workers and decide the future action."
Tarcar, who has been indicted by the Public Accounts Committee report on illegal mining, is likely to join Gomantak Party (MGP), which has formed a
pre-poll alliance with main opposition BJP.
According to party sources, he is likely to be MGP-BJP candidate from St Cruz constituency.
Yet another Congress leader Pravin Zantye tendered his resignation from the party this morning and announced he will contest as an Independent from Mayem Assembly segment.
Congress has given Mayem seat to the Sharad Pawar-NCP as part of a seat-sharing arrangement. "We have been working in the constituency for the last five years. Suddenly, they alloted it to NCP which has no base there," Zantye said.
While Congress will be contesting in 33 out of 40 Assembly seats, the rest has been given to NCP. Candidates for four Assembly segments -- , Canacona, Fatorda and Sanvordem constituency -- are yet to be declared.
Fernandes will be announcing the names of these four candidates and also hold talks with some dissidents, party sources said.
Some Congress leaders had yesterday also resigned and few others expressed their intention to quit the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened