Cong keeps NCP on tenterhooks on tie-up in Maharashtra
New Delhi: Congress on Monday kept NCP on
tenterhooks on the issue of alliance in the Maharashtra
Assembly elections though the party also remained ambivalent
on the question of merger between the two.
"At this point, we have no line on this issue. I cannot
discuss strategy...But we are coming up with a useful workable
strategy in the interest of Maharashtra and Congress," party
spokesman Abhishek Singhvi told reporters in reply to a volley
The questions included whether the Congress favoured an
alliance with Sharad Pawar`s party and its stand on the issue
of merger of the NCP with the Congress.
AICC General Secretary Digvijay Singh speaking separately
said that it was his "personal view" that the NCP should merge
with the Congress.
Singh, a member of a high-level AICC committee which went
to Maharashtra, steered clear of questions on alliance with
the NCP. He said the anti-incumbency was more against the NCP
as they have more ministers.
In reply to a question, he said he always favoured
On the issue of merger he said, "it was my personal
opinion that the issue of Sharad Pawar going out of Congress
is no longer relevant and valid and the political DNA of
Congress and NCP is the same. Ideology is the same and stock
is the same."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory