Cong leaders telling lies to defame me: Hazare
New Delhi: Upset over Congress leaders calling him a mask of BJP and RSS, Anna Hazare on Sunday told
Congress chief Sonia Gandhi that party leaders and ministers
were "telling lies" to defame him and dared them to make
public any evidence to prove it.
In a three-page letter, Hazare said such remarks were part
of a "conspiracy" to defame him and ensure that those people
who supported him during the April protest did not do so in
A "hurt" Hazare said, "I request you to ensure that
responsible leaders from your party should not resort to
character assassination and mislead people on the Jan Lokpal
"If the Congress party has any concrete evidence (to prove
the allegations), please make it public," he said.
He also said it did not augur well for the country if
responsible leaders start "telling lies only to clinch to
power" by misleading people on issues.
His letter came in the backdrop of Congress general
secretary Janardhan Dwivedi dubbing him as a "mask" of BJP
while other leaders attacked the civil society on Lokpal Bill.
"If the responsible leaders in the party and government
resort to spreading lies, it is not good for the future of the
country. Many senior leaders in your party have said that I am
a mask of BJP and RSS. In the 73 years of my life, I have
never gone close to any party or front because there is
corruption everywhere," he said.
To buttress his point, he said he had criticised the
Gujarat government for corruption and asked, "Had I been
associated with BJP, I would not have talked about such
Hazare had earlier kicked up a controversy by praising
Modi for development works in rural Gujarat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'