Cong members oppose casinos in Goa
Panaji: For the first time, the voice of
dissident against offshore casino came from within the
Congress group after its senior most legislator opposed these
floating gambling dens.
"When government splurges so much of money on
advertising Goa, we can very well save the money and pump it
back in state`s development," Congress legislator Dayanand
Narvekar told the state legislative assembly today.
"There is no logic in entertaining offshore casinos
under the guise of earning revenue when we spend so much on
advertising," he said.
Narvekar, former law minister, contended that the
offshore casinos were affecting large section of people who
lose their fortune in gambling.
Goa has six offshore casinos which face protests by
BJP and other civic groups.
Fiscal discipline is not happening in the state,
Narvekar, who had tabled 2006-07 state budget, said.
He also questioned the wisdom behind holding scores of
film festivals in the state, which are rarely attended by the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical