Cong members oppose casinos in Goa
Panaji: For the first time, the voice of
dissident against offshore casino came from within the
Congress group after its senior most legislator opposed these
floating gambling dens.
"When government splurges so much of money on
advertising Goa, we can very well save the money and pump it
back in state`s development," Congress legislator Dayanand
Narvekar told the state legislative assembly today.
"There is no logic in entertaining offshore casinos
under the guise of earning revenue when we spend so much on
advertising," he said.
Narvekar, former law minister, contended that the
offshore casinos were affecting large section of people who
lose their fortune in gambling.
Goa has six offshore casinos which face protests by
BJP and other civic groups.
Fiscal discipline is not happening in the state,
Narvekar, who had tabled 2006-07 state budget, said.
He also questioned the wisdom behind holding scores of
film festivals in the state, which are rarely attended by the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday