Cong members oppose casinos in Goa
Panaji: For the first time, the voice of
dissident against offshore casino came from within the
Congress group after its senior most legislator opposed these
floating gambling dens.
"When government splurges so much of money on
advertising Goa, we can very well save the money and pump it
back in state`s development," Congress legislator Dayanand
Narvekar told the state legislative assembly today.
"There is no logic in entertaining offshore casinos
under the guise of earning revenue when we spend so much on
advertising," he said.
Narvekar, former law minister, contended that the
offshore casinos were affecting large section of people who
lose their fortune in gambling.
Goa has six offshore casinos which face protests by
BJP and other civic groups.
Fiscal discipline is not happening in the state,
Narvekar, who had tabled 2006-07 state budget, said.
He also questioned the wisdom behind holding scores of
film festivals in the state, which are rarely attended by the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- Zee Media Exclusive: Wife says Yakub Memon unwell, appeals to govt for clemency