Cong stalwarts bite the dust in Goa
Panaji: Many of the Congress stalwarts
including four from Churchill Alemao family and state party
chief Subhas Shirodkar bit the dust as the BJP-MGP alliance
on Tuesday managed to bag majority of seats in Goa assembly
Congress-NCP ministers including Churchill Alemao,
Joaquim Alemao, Manohar Asgaonkar, Filip Nery Rodrigues, Jose
Philip Dsouza, Nilkant Halarnkar and others lost the polls to
the new faces mostly fielded by BJP-MGP as election results
were declared today.
In Salcette, which is a Congress bastion, Congress won two
seats out of eight. BJP, which had fielded several Catholic
candidates, managed to make a hold in Salcette.
Catholic candidates like Matanhy Saldanha, Michael Lobo,
Glen Ticlo, Carlose Almeida defeated stalwarts. NCP, which had
won on three seats in 2007 elections, has got a single seat.
The party fought the election in alliance with Congress.
Goa Pradesh Congress Committee President Subhas Shirodkar
also suffered defeat at the hands of BJP’s Mahadev Naik in
GVP, a regional political outfit, which was rejuvenated by
Fransisco Miccky Pacheco, managed to win Nuvem and Benaulim
seats. Caetan Silva of the party defeated Congress` Valanka
All the four candidates from Alemao family - Valanka
(Benaulim), Joaquim (Cuncolim), Churchill (Navelim) and Yuri
(Sanguem), lost the election.
`Family raj` was one of the important issue during the
polls. Only one of BJP`s sitting MLA Damodar Naik was defeated
by independent candidate Vijay Sardesai in Fatorda
Congress candidate from Cuncolim constituency Joaquim
Aleamo lost to BJP`s candidate Subhash Naik.
In Calangute constituency, BJP`s Michael Lobo won
against Congress` Agnelo Fernandes.
BJP Goa chief Laxmikant Parsekar said that the party will
stake claim to form the next government in alliance with the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured