Cong to examine its defeat in two assembly seats in UP
Lucknow: With an eye on the 2012 Assembly
elections in Uttar Pradesh, the Congress will examine reasons
behind its defeat in the just concluded bye-elections in two
Assembly seats held by the party.
Though the party came out with flying colours in the
Firozabad Lok Sabha bye-election, wresting the seat from
Samajwadi Party, and bagged Lucknow (West) Assembly seat,
which falls under the Lucknow Lok Sabha constituency, a BJP
stronghold, Congress does not appear to be complacent.
The high command will look into the reasons which led the
party`s defeat in the two Assembly seats, a senior party
The matter came up when Congress leaders alongwith the
winners of Firozabad and Lucknow met the party high command in
Congress President Sonia Gandhi and AICC General Secretary
Rahul Gandhi, who is personally monitoring the resurgence of
the party in Uttar Pradesh, are satisfied with the party`s
performance, the leader said.
The defeat in Jhansi and Padrauna is being analysed closely
as two union ministers had been asked to personally monitor
"The matter will be discussed in detail at the coordination
committee meeting likely to be held in the state in the first
week of December in the presence of Rahul Gandhi," he said.
The Central leadership has directed the state leaders to
work with the specific focus on the 2012 Assembly elections in
the state, he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed