Cong trying to win BSP, independent MLAs in U’khand
New Delhi: After a photo finish in Uttarakhand, Congress, which emerged as the single largest party, is making a serious bid to rope in independents and BSP MLAs to achieve the magic tally.
In the 70-member House, Congress has got 32 seats while the BJP 31. BSP has won three, Uttarkhand Kranti Dal one and independents three.
Claiming that the first right to form the government in Uttarakhand is of Congress, party general secretary in-charge for the state Birender Singh said he is hopeful that independents and MLAs from BSP will support Congress as
barring one or two, all of them were associated with his party at some time.
"Most of the independent MLAs and even those who belong to BSP or UKD, except one or two, all have Congress background. Some of them are rebels.
Even in BSP, those who have got elected have some connection with Congress. I feel that their preference will be Congress," Singh said.
He maintained that Congress is in touch with everybody and hopeful that they will give their support to the party.
The newly-elected legislators of the party will be meeting in the evening and a decision will be taken thereafter on whether they will meet Governor to stake claim tomorrow or day after.
Amid the tussle in the party over its Chief Ministerial candidate for the state, the AICC leader chose to duck questions on who would lead a possible Congress government in Uttarakhand.
"Before presenting our CM candidate, we will ensure that we must have the requisite number. After that we will take a decision," Singh said. Singh was speaking to media after he along with some other leaders of Uttarkhand met Congress President Sonia Gandhi here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- From Swift Dzire, to a BMW: It's dream come true, says PV Sindhu after receiving second car from Sachin Tendulkar
- Narendra Modi's big plan for PoK refugees in India – A Rs 2,000 crore package
- Kerala train derail: Services resume in Ernakulam-Thrissur route
- Meet Lachlan Smart – The Aussie teen who becomes youngest pilot to fly solo around the world!
- Suicide bombing kills 11 at Yemen army camp: Officials